While our teachers and parents are busy participating in this term’s parent-teacher conferences, I’m going to take a peek forward in anticipation of what should be a very exciting week at the Ottawa Jewish Community School. Let me be the first to welcome you to the inaugural La célébration de la semaine de la Francophonie, featuring our second annual – but first with parents – Francofête. [For a bit of background, you are welcome to revisit last year’s post about Francofête and how it builds upon past celebrations of French at OJCS.]
We are so pleased to let you know that next week (March 20-24) will be “La célébration de la semaine de la Francophonie 2023”! The goals are simple – to spend a week marinating in French, celebrating the work of our students and teachers, highlighting the strides our French program has taken in the last few years, and elevating French beyond the boundaries of French class, into the broader OJCS culture. The highlight will be the Francofête on Thursday, March 23rd at 6:30 PM in the OJCS Gym.
So…what to expect from “La célébration de la semaine de la Francophonie 2023”?
- To set the ambience, we will have a customized French music playlist to greet our students each day upon entry and announcements and anthems en français.
- On Monday, students will experience special activities and programs during their French classes. This will include the dix mots de la francophonie (the ten words for this year’s francophonie). What are they? Glad you asked! Learn along with our students:
- Students will also learn about l’Organisation Mondiale de la Francophonie dans le monde (World Organization of La Francophonie) and Canada’s role therein.
- On Tuesday, we will hold a major dress rehearsal for the Francofête.
- On Wednesday, we will take the last ninety minutes of the day for a school-wide “station-to-station” program with our Grades 7 & 8 students guiding our students to teacher-led activities featuring our very own pop-up OJCS French Café where they will enjoy authentic (kosher) French treats.
- Thursday brings us the Francofête! Parents will be welcome to join us at 6:30 PM and each of our grades will share songs, dances, knowledge and the joie d’apprendre that comes with French learning at OJCS.
- We’ll finish the week with a special round of French Reading Buddies!
And many more surprises…
So there you go…voilà!
Parents at OJCS will hopefully look forward to lots of opportunities to peek in and/or to see pictures and videos during this year’s celebration and to join us for the Francofête. We’ll look forward to building on this in future years as we continue to showcase French in our trilingual school.
Great appreciation to our entire French Faculty and to Madame Wanda in particular who has led this year’s celebration. This should be a week filled with ruach – errr…joie de vivre! [French North Star Alert!]